These days we spend a significant portion of our lives at home, generally enjoying life and often working from the same place. What we do every day and the air we breathe in inadvertently may be affecting our well-being. Putting it simply, living comfortably around some household items and in certain conditions could have long-term effects on our health.

Could Common household products be making you sick?

Keeping an eye out for some household products can be a great way to protect yourself. Some household items may be full of unpleasant surprises like toxins in your older household appliances and outdated household products. These products may be harmless, but they could be harbouring nasty germs and bacteria. They could cause poor sleep, headaches, runny noses, and limited cognitive function.

Fortunately, there are ways to combat this problem, so you don't have to get sick. Here are a few tips and listed below are a few common culprits. Learn what to look out for and how to avoid them.


In the air, food, or soil, mold can cause serious health problems. Food contaminated with mold can lead to respiratory illnesses like headaches and sinus infections. To prevent becoming sick from mold, cook all foods thoroughly and wash your hands regularly. If you have consumed food contaminated with mold, seek medical attention immediately.

Bathroom Floors

Everyone knows bacteria can live on bathroom floors for months or even years. Depending on the traffic level, cleanliness, and the conditions of the toilet, a bathroom floor could harbour as many as one million bacteria after an hour of regular use.


Cockroaches can give off a foul smell and are notorious for spreading diseases. They are constantly on the lookout for food and water. Therefore, they will likely crawl all over your kitchen benchtops while you're asleep. If you are concerned about your family's health, you should get rid of cockroaches without delay.

Poor Ventilation

The air we breathe is one of the most significant contributors to our overall health. Most of us spend a considerable amount of time of our time indoors. You may not realize it, but the air inside your home is likely to have contaminants that can make you sick. In fact, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), approximately 6 out of 10 homes suffer from poor indoor air quality.

Pet Danger

It is a fact that pet dander can cause a few health problems, including asthma, respiratory issues, and allergic reactions. These airborne particles cause shortness of breath, wheezing, and coughing. They can even trigger asthma attacks. Three out of every ten people who suffer from allergies to animals have severe asthma attacks after coming into contact with pet dander.


While bathmats may seem clean and sanitary, they harbour bacteria. Bacteria thrive in warm and moist environments, and bathmats are no exception. If you have respiratory problems, you are especially vulnerable to mold infestation. Check the mat for unexplained stains and a musty smell to spot a mould infestation. The odor resembles wet socks or rotting wood.

Gas Heaters

You may not have ever heard of carbon monoxide. Still, it is a harmful substance produced through the incomplete burning of gas, coal, and other carbon products. Gas heaters, chimneys, fireplaces, and cooking appliances can have such emissions. In the presence of a home, carbon monoxide can quickly build up and make you sick before you even realize it. The effects of carbon monoxide depend on the person's age, overall health, and concentration of exposure. Carbon monoxide can make you sick and cause your organs to malfunction. People with heart or lung disease are at high risk.

Kitchen Sponge

Sponges are a hotbed of bacteria. According to a 2017 study, a sponge can contain 45 billion bacteria per square centimetre. Soaking sponges in hot water or microwave for two to three days will help prevent this problem. To keep your sponges clean, you should put them into the dishwasher on the hottest cycle or microwave them every couple of days. You should also try to replace sponges every two weeks - or sooner if they start to smell. And remember that germs and bacteria do not only live in the kitchen. They also can infect your house.

Dust Mites

Dust mites are tiny pests that thrive in dusty areas of your house and are difficult to see. Dust mites are microscopic arthropods about a quarter to a third millimetres long and look like tiny white spiders. The symptoms of dust mite can vary. They generally cause an allergic reaction that results in itchy bits like marks. If you're suffering from allergy symptoms due to dust mites, it may be prudent to consult a physician. A doctor can tell whether you are allergic to dust mites, and if your symptoms worsen, you should seek professional help.